Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words or phrases based on grade 8 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.4a Use context (e.g., the overall meaning of a sentence or paragraph; a word’s position or function in a sentence) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.4b Use common, grade-appropriate Greek or Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word (e.g.,precede, recede, secede).
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.4c Consult general and specialized reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find the pronunciation of a word or determine or clarify its precise meaning or its part of speech.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.4d Verify the preliminary determination of the meaning of a word or phrase (e.g., by checking the inferred meaning in context or in a dictionary).
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.5 Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.5a Interpret figures of speech (e.g. verbal irony, puns) in context.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.5b Use the relationship between particular words to better understand each of the words.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.5c Distinguish among the connotations (associations) of words with similar denotations (definitions) (e.g.,bullheaded, willful, firm, persistent, resolute).
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.6 Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases; gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.