- Choose one film or book review that you have recently seen or read. (It's all right to have a copy of the review in front of you as you write, if you wish) Briefly, summarize the review, giving the name of the book or film. Then, state whether you agree or disagree with the review and why. Give enough information and detail to convince a reader to agree with you. (Hint: Do NOT summarize the book or film; instead, tell whether you think it is worth reading/seeing and why.)
- Write an essay in which you strongly and clearly AGREE OR DISAGREE (but NOT both) with ONE of the following:
People worry too much about __________. Fill in the blank with any topic you like. Then, write a paper that supports your statement. Convince others to agree with you. (Grades 5 & up)
Write a paper in which you AGREE OR DISAGREE with this statement:
- Fads never really go out of style
- Life in the 21st century will be better than ever
- People are happier than they used to be
- Americans are too concerned with material goods
- You can tell a lot about people by what they eat
- You can tell a lot about people by what they read
- You can tell a lot about people by what they wear
- The Internet is the best thing to ever happen to education
"It's more fun to be a child than to be an adult."
Pick something you're wearing or something in your desk or pocket. Write an advertisement for this thing that would convince someone to buy it.
Think of ONE thing about television advertising you would like to see changed. Then, write a letter to the Advertising Council explaining the change you want and the reasons you think this change is important.
"The most important quality any person can have is a sense of humor." Do you agree or disagree? Write a paper in which you take a clear stand, agreeing or disagreeing with this statement, and explain your position so the reader can understand fully why you feel the way you do.
Would you rather be an only child or have many brothers and sisters? Why?
Write a convincing paper in which you agree or disagree with this statement: "Life was easier for teenagers 50 years ago than it is for teenagers today."
Write an essay proposing a new national holiday. You anticipate that there might be people who don't agree with your idea, so defend your reasoning by explaining the meaning and background of the event/person and why a national holiday is justified. You could also describe how the holiday should be observed or celebrated.
Many famous people, both real and fictional, have been honored by having their faces on postage stamps. Choose a real or fictional person who you feel deserves this honor. Write a paper that would persuade others your choice is good.